Cars, Bikes & Driving

COC / Control technique

hannahnfraz writes in Cars, Bikes & Driving

I am in desperate need of help!!
I have a UK registered 1999 RHD Peugeot on which the MOT has expired. I am trying to get a control technique done but every centre we try insists on a COC (certificate of conformity) which we do not have.
I have gone about trying to get a COC but as we do not have an e number?? they are refusing to supply us with one.
Please can anyone tell me what to do?? Has anybody else heard of this happening?? Most importantly, does anybody know of a test centre who do not insist on the COC??
I would be massively grateful of any advice
Thanks, Hannah

Posted on: 04/04/2012 at 12:51


If your car is still registered in the UK then you need an MOT rather than a CT. The CT is for French registered cars as you are finding

Until you can go through the process to convert the car to French plates you need to return to the UK asap for an MOT.

Also without your MOT you may find that your insurance will not be valid.

Posted on: 04/04/2012 at 19:56

Have you tried to ring the head office of Peugeot in the UK? and explain , the problem is that the car is pre 2002 so there isn't the e no on your registration certificate. Peugeot should be able to send you a COC, the fees vary a lot. You usually to have a COC to proceed with french reg .

Posted on: 04/04/2012 at 20:06

Automobiles Peugeot?
75 Ave Grande Armée
75116 Paris
Tel: 01 40 66 55 11
Send a copy of purchase invoice, or if second-hand, a hand-written private sale document and if UK registered, a copy of UK V5. Payment.
I take it you have tried the above address which is listed on this site to apply for a coc? I dont know where you are but two years ago I put my 1997 Renault Laguna RHD through the CT in Bedarieux and they used the UK Reg on the paperwork. I got a COC some weeks later to re register but despite it being a French car they charged me 120 € !Good luck!

Posted on: 06/04/2012 at 18:00

The law changed recently in France,requiring non French registered car owners to produce a COC before a CT test.As someone has already said,the best place to start is with the UK branch of the car company in question(not one of their dealers) so in your case that's Peugeot UK,Phone..0845 200 1234. I have done this with Fiat and VW and also with Renault trucks UK.They all did it for free and within a few days but Volvo UK insist that you go through Volvo France who charged about 150 euros and took weeks.Hope this helps.

Posted on: 07/04/2012 at 20:46

I am no expert but I am concerned with the suggestion you get back to the UK for a MOT if this means you need to drive as it may mean you are driving without insurance.

We are registering our UK Suzuki car to insure it over here. (You might not want to go this far)

Below is our experiance

We called Suzuki UK passed us to their French office for a COC. Same experience as petead23 but it cost us 85e we paid by bank RIB it took about a week to get it by post. Will now have to change the headlights (I got them from eBay 140 e) CT garages insist on headlights that conform in the past you could use sticker deflectors but the law has changed. Some new cars have leaver or switch to move the lights to conform so check if yours does. The CT will cost 68 euro at our local station The registration will cost but not sure how much at this stage that seems to be related to the power of the car

Good luck

Posted on: 08/04/2012 at 11:20

hi in last few yrs i have got 4/5 of the bits of paper u need from diff makers. vw dont charge in uk pugs charge £40 i think. give there main customer service center a call not dealer you may need to show id /proof of ownership in uk /or poss email them copys normaly takes a week or so once you have made contact with right person. but this is the key you will know when you have found right person as thay will know all about what you are talking about and take in there stride insted of passing you from piller to post. ask for a cert of euro conformaty is prob not what u need but will get you through to right person . as for mot,s and ins as i understand the law. theres no req for a uk reg car to have mot in france or a french car to have a ct in uk .and as far as ins as long as cars road worthy dont think you should have any probs same as uk its the cars road worthyness not an mot that matter. but dont take my word for mot/ ins stuff call your ins .cheers dave ps sorry for spelling etc

Posted on: 09/04/2012 at 10:43

Featured Business

James Southern Independent Consultant and Contract Engineer

French and English speaking with 25 years experience providing a comprehensive service for the...

British Corner Shop

The online British supermarket for expats, ready to deliver British food, drink and other brands...

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Health Insurance Quote


Welcome to AngloINFO Languedoc-Roussillon

Everything you need for life in Languedoc-Roussillon - local information you can trust
The AngloINFO Languedoc-Roussillon Business is available for franchising

Do you dream of having your own, profitable, easy-to-operate business? AngloINFO might be the solution!

Now in its fifteenth year of business, AngloINFO is the world's leading network of expat information websites - with over three million monthly visitors from around the world.
We have an established network of 91 local websites in 44 countries with many more in development.

Our 54 local franchisees are the key to our success and come from a huge range of backgrounds, ages and nationalities. The common factor is a passion for success.